• Print

Author Topic: Stem cells.  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Khira

• Fossil
  • Adrenalize Me
    • FA
Stem cells.
« on: June 03, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »
Okay, there are a few of us here who would benefit from a good stem cell therapy session.  I, personally have type 1 diabetes and have since I was 4 or 5 (diagnosis was very close to my fifth birthday).  I am now 27 years old. I have been yet lucky not to have too many complications from this illness, despite my lack of control.

As such, I feel it would be prudent to discuss the implications of stem cell research and therapy here.  What are your opinions, both as people and as scientific minds?  Are you repulsed by the idea that they use embryonic stem cells instead of harvesting the stem cells adults produce, or is furthering medical science important enough to use discarded embryos for something like this?

Personally, I feel if there is an embryo which has been aborted or miscarried, if the cells are viable, I don't see why the embryo should go to waste.  For the sake of curing illnesses such as Down's syndrome, diabetes, possibly cancer or cerebral palsy, I think it is an acceptable use of tissue samples which would otherwise be completely discarded.

But, I know the idea makes some people squeamish.  Hence why I ask for opinions on this discussion.  I'll admit to being biased, absolutely.

Offline Derange

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Re: Stem cells.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
I could potentially benefit from stem cell research as well. I was diagnosed with mild to severe hearing loss three years ago (oh my god, it's been three years already?!), and I am almost positive it is because of nerve damage. It looks like they are already doing some clinical trials on this, but the thought that this is something that could possibly be corrected excites me.

As for how I feel about stem cell research, I honestly don't see how it can be a bad thing. Hell - I'd donate my own eggs to it, if it meant helping someone! It's not like I'll be using any more than two or three of 'em ever. :P
And here at world’s end, having you by my side is all I could ever ask for.

Offline Theridomide

• Fossil
  • Intake: Because you're worth it
    • Adobe Photoshop
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 09:15:13 AM »
One problem is: not much of stem cells scattered across the body. I can guess once they find a cluster somewhere, it'll be cultivated until the cells reach the needed amount.

Another method to gain a large amount of stem cells is to harvest a fertilized egg cell in (i dunno what stage it is in) stage. It maybe a motherload. But it's considered "murder" and thus denied.

So the way of harvesting a large amount of much-needed stem cells are still in ethical bondage. There has to be a much more humane way. Cultivation, well.. Will need to get a lot more info about the ethical stuff hehehe

Offline Circe

• Hatchling
  • Chirp!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 07:47:16 AM »
I'm all for stem cell research, even those from embryos.

Offline Ericnut

• Egg
    • gclub mobile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 05:28:36 AM »
I want to know if it is real or not. Can we make it happen again with a stem cell?

Offline Leeham991

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 02:45:12 AM »
There is a company I was reading about which says they probably will have a working prototype cure for male genital mutilation by 2019, and have been pulling in people to take part in the first clinical trials which are set up for that year. All based on stem cell stuff

Offline ErnestPo

• Egg
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
Even though I don't care about that particular use-case, I'm sure this will help the stem cell application and research. That's awesome!

• Print