• Print

Author Topic: Sciurumimus  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Theridomide

• Fossil
  • Intake: Because you're worth it
    • Adobe Photoshop
Sciurumimus
« on: July 02, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
http://www.science20.com/news_articles/sciurumimus_albersdoerferi_dinosaur_feathered_theropod_not_related_birds-91672

So okay, maybe not all feathery dinos are coelurosaurs. Some exceptions are like the Yu-tyrannus and this new Sciurumimus albersdoesferi.

The Sciurumimus is a type of Megalosaur. And the fossil found there is quite well-preserved. The skeleton along with some patches of skin and feather filaments, found under UV light.

Anyway. This is another exception to rule out an assumption that "Feathered dinos are coelurosaurs (exclusively). And, a contact of mine, said that he can't wait for Ix to draw one.

Offline Ferahgo

• Administrator
  • Fossil
  • SCIENCE NEEDS ME!
    • Emily Willoughby Art
Re: Sciurumimus
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:16:07 AM »
So okay, maybe not all feathery dinos are coelurosaurs. Some exceptions are like the Yu-tyrannus and this new Sciurumimus albersdoesferi.

Yutyrannus is a coelurosaur. But agreed about Sciurumimus! This means that fuzzy allosaurids and spinosaurids are not only within the realm of possibility, but seemingly likely as well.

We do have examples of probably fuzzy non-coelurosaurs already, like the ornithischian Tianyulong, but the feathers aren't as well preserved and their type and level of "primitiveness" more elusive.

And, a contact of mine, said that he can't wait for Ix to draw one.

Not sure if I'll be getting to that any time soon, but I would enjoy drawing it a lot more than what I'm working on now. :(
"Hands are levers of influence on the world that make intelligence worth having." - Steven Pinker

Offline Theridomide

• Fossil
  • Intake: Because you're worth it
    • Adobe Photoshop
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:30:30 AM »
Please pardon me adressing you as "Ix" Ferahgo. Can't seem to break the habit.

However it might seem strange to look at fuzzy spinosaurids and other giant theropods.

P.S. It's "Tianyulong" - Tianyu Dragon (?) Sorry. Chinese pinyin nazi XD

Offline Ferahgo

• Administrator
  • Fossil
  • SCIENCE NEEDS ME!
    • Emily Willoughby Art
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:51:09 PM »
Pardon. I always have trouble with Chinese words if I'm not typing them often. :)
"Hands are levers of influence on the world that make intelligence worth having." - Steven Pinker

• Print