• Print

Author Topic: Triops???  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Leeham991

• Adult
Triops???
« on: December 22, 2013, 09:28:40 PM »
When I was a kid there were these things called triops that everyone in my school got. Basically it was like sea monkeys, but instead of getting random little shrimp things you got these big shelled things which looked like the cheap fossils you can buy at all the tourist shops. To this day I still don't know what they are or how these growing kits worked. The best I can describe how they looked like is a horseshoe crab with a broad tail. They used to bewilder me utterly because the whole process involved adding very fine powder to water and waiting a few days.

Does anyone know wtf these were?

The box said they were 'clones from the time of the dinosaurs!' I assume that was marketing bollocks, but maybe this thread belongs here? :L

Offline Derange

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Re: Triops???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 02:01:58 PM »
They're tadpole shrimp. They're basically living fossils, but they live in puddles and their eggs are extremely resistant to drying out (they can go extended periods of time outside of water and still hatch when put in water again). I tried hatching some in college but for whatever reason nothing ever came about. :( I was going to name them Caligula and Nero and Cthulhu and other such names.

They also apparently eat each other.
And here at world’s end, having you by my side is all I could ever ask for.

• Print