• Print

Author Topic: Tabletop-style forum based RP?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Khira

• Fossil
  • Adrenalize Me
    • FA
Tabletop-style forum based RP?
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
Trying to get a feel for how many people would be interested in something like this.

The way I've been taught to run a RP based in a dice-rolling setting would incorporate many different kinds of fandoms.  For example, we've played D20 Modern (Dungeons and Dragons, in modern society) games with elements of Stargate, Star Wars, Supernatural, and Marvel, with smatterings of other things. 

I'd be happy to answer questions about what I mean, if anyone is unclear.  But, basically speaking, I would be the person running the game, controlling NPCs, deciding what happens in the story based on player character interactions, etc.

Kinda hoping a few of ya would be interested in trying, anyway.  :)

Offline Derange

• Administrator
  • Fossil
Re: Tabletop-style forum based RP?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 11:15:42 PM »
Uh, yes.
And here at world’s end, having you by my side is all I could ever ask for.

Offline Iara

• Egg
    • Warriorfeather Creations
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:05:24 AM »
*rolls a six, manages to crash server and end up on start screen with WoW MoP music*

I am unfamiliar with traditional RPs...someone teach me... :'(  All I know is WoW... :blank:

Offline Khira

• Fossil
  • Adrenalize Me
    • FA
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:16:39 AM »
It's actually pretty basic once you get used to it.  The difference between free form RP and dice RP is the element of chance.  That, and the storyteller is who chooses what can and can't, and what does and doesn't, happen, with the aid of the dice.

The dice are usually counted in relation to what a character skill or stat is at, for what task they plan to do.  Dexterity for firearms, strength for melee, etc. 

Character creation can be done with the aid of a character generator.  I won't lie, because it's based in a forum a lot of this will be honor-based. 

"Roll a D20."
(rolls a 9)  "I got 19."
"Success!"

I am aware that can, and probably will happen.  But let me be the first to tell you, sometimes critical failures can have equally spectacular and beneficial results.  XD

But yes... the most difficult part, I found as a new RPer ~18 months ago was character creation.  If enough people show interest, I am of course delighted to help those who need it.  :)

Offline Iara

• Egg
    • Warriorfeather Creations
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:26:45 AM »
So I make a sexy raptor character and buy a DnD die cube. Gotcha.  :P

Look out, RP world!  :loki: Iara is on the prowl, ready to make her way through dungeons and what not.  :P

...I'm willing to give this a shot.  :P

• Print